Monday 5 November 2012

6. First Impressions

*Wow, I got the most comments I've ever had on that last chapter! Thank you all so much! :)*

She felt like she was fidgeting so much as she waited. Checking the pans every five seconds she was petrified of over-cooking the spaghetti, which Drake had oh so smoothly left out as a way of asking her to make it. She smiled thinking about him, everything was looking up for her right now. With the exception of what was looming over her almost twenty-four seven. She'd talk to Drake about that when she felt comfortable though, nobody else knew and it was going to be hard telling him. Biting her lip as she sat at the kitchen table she tried to forget about that horrible memory and decided to go and put some more presentable clothes on. The photos she had seen of his Mother all looked so dressed up and some how she felt as though her sweat pants and vest shirt weren't really going to cut it. She felt her anxiety becoming more un-managable as she heard his car pull up, just in time as she dished everything up on to plates. Now dressed in a cute baggy, baby-pink jumper she had to leave herself in black leggings since nothing else fitted.

"Here I got that Mom, you just head inside." She heard his voice as the door opened. Moving out to greet them she saw him effortlessly pulling in her suitcases as she held on to her purse. "There, that's it." Placing her luggage down he shut the door and guided his Mother through. "Mom, this is Nicki."
Holding her hand out politely she was surprised when she felt herself being embraced in a hug from the  fragile woman as Drake smiled behind her.

"Hello Nicki, I've heard a lot about you on the way over." She murmured as she released her from the hug.

"Oh really? Nothin' bad I hope!" She giggled shyly as Sandi just shook her head.

"No of course not, actually he talked more about this spaghetti I can smell." She glanced over at the table and smiled even more. "oh good! I'm starving, leave my cases there Aubrey we can eat first."

"Sure, I'll take 'em up later. You're stoppin' in my room this time." She didn't answer as she eagerly made her way into the kitchen leaving Nicki and Drake with a little bit of time to exchange words.

"I guessed you wanted me to cook that since you packed everythin' away except the spaghetti stuff?" She moved closer to him smiling as he sneakily kissed her forehead.

"Yes, thank you. My Mom will love it and she'll love you too so stop bein' so nervous." He could tell she was worried. Truthfully he was terrified himself, how was he supposed to explain this to his Mother. They'd decided that they would keep quiet for a few days whilst Nicki and her got to know one another and then they'd try and tell her.

"I'm tryin' but I'm scared she already thinks bad of me." She looked down at their feet before he pulled her chin up gently.

"Why would she think like that?"

"Drake, I got pregnant when I was fifteen. Now I'm abouta be a sixteen year old Mother. Some people look down on girls like me."

"Well my Mom ain't like that, so relax. Remember what I said?"

"No stressing, I know!" She laughed after he kissed her again. Suddenly reminding them, Sandi shouted cheerfully wondering where the hell they'd gone.

Feeling a little more relaxed after how well dinner went they all did the usual and moved through to the lounge room. Deciding to play it safe they took separate couches as Nicki fought to keep her eyes open, luckily she had a good reason. Being pregnant was taking the energy right out of her.

"So, how's work Aubrey? You still enjoying your job?" She asked sweetly as she snacked on some almonds, which were Nicki's but she offered to share.

"Yeah, it's really good actually. They just gotta sort out shift hours 'cause they're murderous to be honest but other than that it's pretty fine. Good people and all that, I've met some great people there." Nicki couldn't help but smile knowing that he was referring to her when he said that.

"Good, I'm glad. I'd hate for you to have worked so hard and end up not enjoying what you do for a living." She looked down into the bowl as he and Nicki shared an uncomfortable feeling, if Ashley decided to act like a loose cannon that could be his job on the line.

"How about you Nicki? You have any idea what you'd like to do when you've finished school?"

"Not right now, I mean-"

"Oh? That ain't wuchoo told me." He sat forward and smirked at her blushing as Sandi looked between them both.

"Drake."

"Nicki." He smiled wide as he mocked her. "Why you embarrassed?"

"Oh Aubrey, leave the poor girl alone." He laughed even more as his own Mother took Nicki's side.

"No but forreal though Nic, you shouldn't be embarrassed." He kept his eyes on hers as she smiled before he looked back at his Mom. "She wants to be a psychologist, and she's gon' get there. I know it, she just needs more faith in herself." Both Sandi and Nicki were now looking at him fondly.

"You're such a sweet boy Aubrey. Ashley's a lucky girl." Bugging his eyes he looked at her in amazement.

"Excuse me?"

"Ashley, you're girlfriend. Don't try and pretend, I always knew you two would end up together."

"No, Mom you've really got that wrong." He locked eyes with a distraught looking Nicki, instantly making him feel awful.

"Really? So you're just friends?" She looked a little sad but continued eating and listening to her son.

"Yes, just friends. And that's all we'll ever be." The last part was more for Nicki's benefit rather than his Mom's.

"So, you still have no girlfriend?" Nicki shifted uncomfortably and felt as though she should probably announce that she was going to bed and give them some time alone.

"Mom, could we not talk about this?" He laughed nervously and ran his hand over his short curls before taking a sip of his wine.

"Oh, sorry I forget how shy you get about all that stuff. At your age you'd think things like that wouldn't bother you." she laughed and stood up slowly. "Well I think I'm going to turn in for the night, that flight took it out of me. Thank you for dinner Nicki it was lovely and Aubrey thanks for carryin' those cases up for me! I'm sure one of them weighs more than me!" She laughed again, which just made Nicki love her even more. She was so sweet, kind and loving. She just hoped that she'd still be like that when she found out about her and Drake. He'd already shown her up to his room and sat her cases in there, so once she said goodnight she headed up for the night leaving Drake and Nicki alone at last. Don't get it wrong, he loved his Mother but he felt like he hadn't seen Nicki all day.

"See? I told you she'd like you." He sat his wine back on the table and moved back as she gently made her way over to him and settled herself into his side with his arm automatically wrapping around her.

"I liked her too, she's really sweet. Must be where her boy gets it." She brought her head up from his chest to look at him as moved in slowly and grazed her lips with his. Of all the times he'd kissed her, this one was the most passionate. They held it for a while until he cautiously ran his tongue over her bottom lip before he drew it into his mouth. His hand had moved to her waist as her own made its way to the side of his face. Smoothing her palm over his shaded stubble. He pulled away carefully and brought his hand up from her waist to her lip and rubbed it gently.

"You should prolly go get some sleep, since we're sitting on my bed right now." She looked down at the couch suddenly remembering he'd lost his bed for a couple months whilst Sandi was visiting. After a few seconds of silence she spoke up with a hint if hesitation.

"Y'know, you could sleep in my room?" She didn't look at him as she traced random patterns on to his steadily moving chest.

"Nic, I already told you I'm not havin' you sleepin' on the couch. It's fine, I promise." He kissed her head and rested his own on hers before he pulled away hearing her speak again.

"I meant with me, like last night." He didn't say anything which made her feel apprehensive. "Of course, you don't have to if you don't-"

"No, last night was nice don't get me wrong it's just my Mom will wonder where I'm sleepin' if I'm not on the couch. She knows only two of the rooms have beds." She finally looked up at him and their eyes met.

"Oh." That was all she said before she lay her head back on his chest, allowing his calm breathing to soothe her.

"But, I could always throw a blanket and pillow on here, make it look like I'm sleepin' on it."

"You think that'd work?" She kept still as she spoke.

"I reckon it would, she's not an early mornin' person. I am, so I'd be up before her." Slowly looking up at him she waited for him to lock eyes with her. There was something about the way he looked at her that made her feel so warm and, for once, like she was actually wanted.

"Well, lets go to bed then." Sitting up she made a move and got to her feet with him following.

"I'll be up in a bit, I gotta go clean up the kitchen and then grab a blanket and stuff." Kissing her forehead he went back to the kitchen, taking his wine glass with him as she went upstairs.

About twenty minutes passed before he actually entered her room quietly. This time the hall light didn't flood in as it was already off. Silently closing the door he looked over at the bed, since it wasn't a cloudy night the moonlight lit up her window pane and even with the curtains her room was still illuminated. Pulling his shirt off he placed it on the chair in the corner before stripping down to his boxers as she just lay and watched him from under her covers. Slowly climbing under them with her she could smell the toothpaste on him and guessed he'd done all of that in the bathroom downstairs in case she was asleep already. She just stared at him for a minute before wriggling closer to him, happy to feel him doing the same and securing her in his arms. The feeling she gave him as she sighed contently in his embrace was refreshing. He really was falling for her more and more everyday, he just hoped his Mother could see the purity of this relationship and not the age difference or that fact that she was underage. Needless to say she was asleep within seconds, she hadn't slept this well in the longest time. Back in her old house it was because of the noise and the never-ending fear that one of the men inhabiting her home would come into her room whilst she was asleep. As he lay and listened to her soft breathing it lulled him to sleep in a matter of minutes.

The incredible thirst she was feeling right now was driving her mad. She knew she should have grabbed herself a bottle of water before she settled for the night, knowing that she never drank tap water. Winning her mental battle Sandi threw her covers back and shuffled her manicured feet into her slippers before making her way downstairs. She felt terrible that she'd taken her son's bed but honestly her arthritis was giving her grief lately and kipping on the couch would do it absolutely no good. Nearing the last step she made more effort to be quiet after seeing the blanket draped on the couch, not able to resist looking at her baby sleeping she peered over only to see an empty space where his body should have lay. Frowning she continued through to the kitchen and guessed he must have been using the bathroom. She grabbed her water and headed back to bed for the night not thinking anything else of her son's absence.

***

Feeling her rip out of his grasp he blinked his eyes open as fast as he could only to see Nicki darting to the bathroom, shutting the door behind her. As he heard her throwing up he felt the need to go see if she was ok. He knocked before talking as he stood in his underwear.

"Nic? You okay in there?" There was silence as she'd obviously finished, hearing the toilet flush he waited for her to re-appear. When she did she had her toothbrush hanging ever so gracefully out of her mouth. "Rough morning?" She nodded tiredly and sat on the end of the bed.

"Shit!" He turned around swiftly and threw his clothes on as she watched him confusedly. Pulling her toothbrush out she spoked carefully, trying not to spit toothpaste everywhere.

"What's wrong?"

"It's 10am! I didn't even realise, my Mom's prolly already downstairs." Nicki looked at him, the panic evident on her face. "Don't worry 'bout it. I'll just tell her I was in the study." He kissed her cheek and let her finish her morning rituals as he went down to the kitchen. Sandi was up already, reading the paper as she ate her breakfast. Completely unaware that she'd seen the empty couch and come down to find it looking exactly as it did last night, Drake got himself a coffee and offered her one.

"No thank you I've got one. Although I'm guessing you need one after sleeping on that all night!" He shifted a little and focused on the coffee machine.

"Yeah, it ain't too comfy but it'll do. Better than the on-call beds at work anyway!" Still avoiding eye contact he saw Nicki coming down the stairs. She looked like she'd had a rough night, come to think of it she had moved around a lot in her sleep. Luckily he was a fairly deep sleeper.

"Hey, how'd you sleep?" He smiled at her as he tried to act as though he hadn't seen her all morning.

"Terribly, not one way I lay was comfortable." She sat herself down before saying good morning to Sandi.

"Oh, I know exactly how you feel. When I was pregnant with Aubrey he was most active during the night! He was terrible." Shaking her head she handed the paper to him as he held his hand out for it and took a seat at the table. "Well I'm going to go finishing unpacking." She stood up with her coffee and looked down at Drake. "Do you think you could lift my cases to the bed Aubrey? My arthritis isn't being kind to me, especially with this cold weather." She moved her eyes back to Nicki in her big jumper as she nibbled on a corner of toast.

"Sure." He stood up too and headed out with her. "You still taking your medication?" Nicki sat and listened to them head upstairs talking as she finished her breakfast, she had to speak to Drake. She'd been thinking about how to tell him all day yesterday which had resulted in all the memories and flashbacks flooding back to her as she slept. At first the night's sleep had started of amazingly but as the early hours of the morning drew nearer she woke up a few times in a cold sweat. Thankfully she hadn't woken Drake with each of her brutal nightmares.

Back upstairs Sandi held on to her coffee cup, keeping warm as Drake lifted the second case on to the bed.

"There you go, no bending down." He patted the case lid and grabbed his cup off of the dresser before her voice made him look over at her.

"Where did you sleep last night?"

"Mom, I slept on the couch. You saw the blanket and pillow!" He laughed and sipped some more coffee.

"No, I came down this morning and it was empty. Then you appeared three hours later from upstairs." She raised her brow and perched herself on the edge of the bed.

"I was in the study from the moment I got up, I got a lot of readin' to catch up on."

"Aubrey, I went downstairs last night at about eleven and your 'bed' looked exactly the same this morning as it did last night. Where did you sleep?" He sighed heavily and shut his eyes. It was now or never.

*I hope I'm still keeping it interesting and stuff :/ Thanks again for your comments guys! =] I enjoy reading them xox*


5 comments:

  1. I hope Sandi will still accept Nicki as she is now and just be worried about Drake's happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg it's getting soooooooooo gooooood. I love it. I wonder how mama g gone react. I cannot wait for the next update!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. UPDATE SOON!!!! I have to know what happens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh!!!! I'm ready for her to know and I REALLY REALLY hope she's okay with it. & I'm also ready for Nic to tell Drake what she has to tell him, although I kinda have a feeling I might know what it is. :////

    Anyway, great chapter, as usual & YES, we're still interested. :)

    ReplyDelete