Tuesday 22 January 2013

15. Close

*I can't tell you how many times I've almost given up on these fics, I really do enjoy writing them but I really doubt myself A LOT and nothing will ever change that. Especially when I'm reading other peoples stories, I don't wanna sound like a jealous person but I do feel envious of their writing abilities! And then when it comes to writing mine I just wanna throw my laptop at the wall out of frustration at myself for not being good enough but I just wanna thank those of you who do read even if you don't comment, it means a lot so thanku very much!*

"Nicki, she'll be fine I promise." He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed the side of her head as they peered down into Auburn's bassinet.

"I know but I don't wanna be away from her." She whined whilst pouting. It was true though. Apart from when Auburn was sleeping during the night, Nicki would constantly have her held close. She felt more at ease knowing she was right there with her in case anything happened.

"Well, if you really don't wanna go I can just cancel the reservations. I don't mind one bit, as long as I get to spend the night with you I'm good." He kept hold of her as she turned and looked up at him.

"But you planned all this for us."

"Yeah but I don't wanna force you to be away from Auburn. It's a natural thing for you to want to stay close to her."

"You really don't mind?"

"Of course not." He kissed her lovingly. "I'll go cancel it now." He started heading out of their dimly lit room before she stopped him.

"Aubrey?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you." Their smiles mirrored each others before he disappeared. Never did she imagine her life taking this kind of turn. Not too long ago she was leaving the house at ridiculous hours just to stay away from her Father and his psychotic friends and now she was living happily with the people who meant the world to her.

Drake was true to his word, he cancelled the reservations and cooked for her instead. Honestly she preferred the atmosphere a lot more than a busy restaurant but she still felt bad that Drake's plans hand been squandered by her maternal instinct.

"Stop apologisin', I don't care about that stuff." He held her tightly to him with one arm and kissed her temple as they watched an old movie on TV.

"Me either, I just felt bad that I ruined your plans."

"Well don't feel like that, it's fine honestly."

"Mmm, good." Snuggling up to him some more she remained silent before speaking again. "Aubrey?"

"Yeah?"

"Did you mean it when you said you believed I could make it in the field of psychology?" Her random question made him look down at her, he stared for a second or two before she made eye contact with him.

"Of course I did. Why'd you ask?"

"I got my paper back a few days ago. I failed." She sighed miserably and sat up, running her hand through her hair. "I don't know if I can do this."

"Hey, look at me." His serious tone made her turn to stare at him. "You have been through so much these last few weeks, nobody can blame you for feelin' a little stressed or run-down but whatever happens you don't give up. I believe in you, I just wish you could believe in yourself a little more."

"I wish I could too."

"So what's gonna happen with this paper?" He pulled her to him and resumed their original position, he didn't really want to stay on the topic because he could see her trying not to cry.

"They said I can re-submit it and if I improve the highest I can be graded is no more than fifty percent."

"So it'll be a pass?"

"Well, yeah but a shitty one." She sniffled and pulled her feet up on to the couch.

"Hey as long as it's a pass there should be no complaining." His comment made her smile but that was soon replaced with a frown when they were both alerted by his pager bleeping in his pocket.

"What's happened?" She asked worriedly as he read the screen.

"Somethin's wrong with a patient of mine, they need me."

"Well go then, I don't mind."

"You sure?"

"It's your job Aubrey, if they need you then they need you. Go." She smiled and moved away to allow him to stand.

"I'll be back soon, promise. Love you." Hurriedly leaning down to kiss her he moved over to the coat rack and headed out to his car.

"Love you too." She sat in silence as she watched him reverse out of the garage, his lights illuminating the room before he hit the road and disappeared.

***

Making his way swiftly to the room he'd been told to go to he pushed the door open with speed. But what he was greeted with was not at all what he had anticipated.

"SURPRISE!!" His whole body jolted with shock as he stared around the room, stood before him were all his work friends and colleagues. Smiling wide awaiting his reaction.

"Oh my God." He chuckled nervously and rubbed his neck. "What is all this?"

"Ashley told us silly! I can't believe you never mentioned anything, daddy." The smile on his face melted away quickly.

"Excuse me?"

"Your girlfriend? She had a baby right? Why didn't you tell us you were gonna be a daddy?" Donna smiled, partly due to the fact that this pice of information somehow managed to get past her. The queen of gossip. Feeling everyone's eyes on him he blushed even more, frantically searching the room for Ashley's conniving face. There were pink balloons everywhere, indicating that they knew the baby was a girl.

"Oh, well I was actu-"

"Drake! You made it, I made sure everyone knew you might not be here. I didn't know if you'd be too busy with your little family." She entered the room with a motive and this was obvious to Drake as he tried to hold on to his last millimetre of patience.

"I need to talk to you. Now."

"What? Oh come on, we wanna see pictures of the little one!" The sly smirk on her face was new to him. Why had he never seen her like this before? His eyes moved away from her and on to his other friends as they nodded.

"Yeah, come on Drizzy! Hell we ain't even seen what the lucky lady looks like. You kept her quiet boy!"

"Look I 'preciate all you bein' here but I came thinkin' there was some huge emergency, I was in the middle of somethin' but thanks for the kind gesture." He looked down for a second. "I'll uh, I'll see you in a few weeks time when I return."

"You're really leavin'? We did all of this for you, please just stay for a few drinks?" Donna's sad face was killing him and taking in the surroundings he realised they'd put a lot of effort into the decor and food. Even if it was only a small gathering in the hospital staff room.

"Aight, half an hour but then I'm gone." Images of Nicki home alone kept flashing up in his mind but that was soon overtaken by anger when he caught Ashley looking over at him. As soon as everyone started talking amongst themselves he walked over to her, the fury evident in his gait.

"You like your little party?"

"The fuck are you playin' at Ashley?"

"What? I just thought that this moment in your life needed to be celebrated, don't you?" She sipped smugly on her drink.

"You're supposed to be my friend!" His hushed, temper-filled words were interrupted by Donna once again.

"You said we could see a picture?"

"What?" His brow wrinkled slightly before he caught on. "Oh right, yeah. Here." Pulling his wallet out he slid the picture from the protective screen and handed it to her. Thankfully he hadn't had chance to put one of Nicki in there yet. Hopefully she wouldn't be too upset that her baby was being looked upon by his workmates.

"Oh my Goodness." She breathed in awe. "She's so tiny." He couldn't help the familiar feeling of pride wash over him as he agreed with her.

"Yeah she was really early but she's doin' great now."

"Well, she's adorable. Must get that from her Mom, sorry boo but you ain't that cute." She laughed sweetly and handed the photo back to him. "Congratulations too. You're gonna be a great dad."

"Thanks Donna." He spoke whilst placing the image back in his wallet. As soon as Donna moved away he turned back to Ashley.

"See? Everyone's happy for you, why you so mad?"

"Because it wasn't your place to interfere like that! You're risking my job here, you understand how outta hand this is gettin'?"

"No Drake, you are risking your career, not me. I'm not the one sleeping with a fucking teenaged delinquent!" Her calm whisper soon escalated into an outburst of hushed insults.

"Teenaged delinquent? Are you forreal right now?" He shook his head irritably. "Nicki is the farthest thing from a delinquent, you have no fucking idea. I'm done with you, seriously stay outta my way and outta my life." He slammed his cup down and moved to the door without her even attempting to stop him but as he looked up to grab the handle he bumped into the last person he wanted to see.

***

"Shhh, come on baby please stop." Rocking her gently Nicki kept moving her eyes back to the clock, Drake had been gone for hours and Auburn was still screaming. She could feel herself starting to get worked up having to hear her baby cry like this. It was painful. Not to mention the fact that it was making her lactate and she'd only just fed her. The stains on her shirt slowly growing as Auburn continued to mewl.

"What's all this racket about?" Seeing Sandi's frame walk through the doorway was like seeing her guardian angel come to her rescue.

"I don't know." Her voice was only just audible over Aubbie's crying but Sandi definitely picked up on Nicki's upset tone.

"Oh Nicki sweetie, don't cry! Here, you want me to take her?" She wanted to say no because she knew that soon she'd be left alone to do this but at that moment everything was just getting on top of her.

"Please." Allowing the tears to run freely she handed an unconsolable Auburn over to Sandi.

"There we go. I'll take care of her, you just go get yourself cleaned up." The warm smile only made Nicki cry harder as she walked to her bathroom, pulling the stained fabric of her shirt away from herself. As soon as the door was closed she let her back make contact with the wood as she slid down to the floor. Peeling her shirt off she was left in only her soaked bra before standing feebly after a while of just sitting in tears. Running the tap in the sink she waited for it to run warm before holding a cloth under the steaming water and applying it to her chest to clean herself before showering.

***

"I can't believe how long you managed to keep all this quiet." Drake's boss chortled as he leant in the doorway. "You said you didn't have a lady in your life when we had that dinner meeting a few weeks back, my wife would have loved to have met her."

"Oh, yeah I ain't wanna pull her outta the house, she wasn't feelin' too great, y'know?"

"Of course, I understand." He nodded and smiled. "Which is why I made plans for the four of us, and a couple other important names. There could be a promotion in it for you Dr Graham." Winking happily he sipped on some more of his drink. The word promotion was stuck in his mind. With Nicki and Auburn to take care of now, a promotion would be more than beneficial.

"A promotion?"

"Yes sir. The Cardiology ward is in desperate need of a new clinical lead. Someone young, innovative and willing to take a risk. I suggested your name to the board, you have promising reviews Drake. This dinner will be make it or break it you understand?"

"How do you mean?" He tapped his elbow, motioning for them to take a walk down the corridor and away from the noise.

"Well, all heads of department and their partners will be attending. It always looks good to appear as though your committed to someone, so as not-"

"To appear unruly and free to do as I please?"

"Exactly Dr Graham." They both laughed before Dan continued. "The medical director of Cardiology will be there, he has a seat on the board and ultimately the impression you make on him is crucial. You're the only one with this privilege, take advantage of the props you've been given Drake." He carried on talking as he walked away, leaving Drake stood in awe. This was his chance, with this promotion he could offer Nicki and Auburn the best of the best but just one thing stood in his way. The law. He couldn't possibly turn up with a sixteen-year-old girl on his arm, if anything that could hurt his chances. There was a way around that issue though and right there and then, the consequences were outweighing the good but ultimately this plan could work. Deep in thought he was suddenly brought back to reality when he heard the staff room door open, everyone was leaving. Thankfully Ashley hadn't seen him and kept on walking away.

***

Cutting the engine in the garage he waited for the roller door to come down automatically before hopping out and locking everything up. He was surprised to see his Mom still up as she watched TV with Auburn resting in her arms.

"Where the hell were you?" Her dry and angry tone made him frown confusedly.

"I got paged, I had to go. Why? Did somethin' happen?" He blinked worriedly. "Where's Nicki?"

"Really? Six hours you were gone for! It's almost two in the morning for God's sake!" She was managing to keep her yells to a whisper since Aubbie was finally asleep. "And Nicki's asleep, she's had a really tough night so I think you should just leave her be. She's exhausted."

"Mom, tell me what happened? And don't keep up with the yelling. You of all people know how demanding my job can be! Don't guilt me like that." He watched her eyes as they shut regretfully, followed by a sigh.

"I know, I know. Sorry I didn't mean to shout, but if you could have seen the state she was in earlier." She trailed off and shook her head. "She's really struggling Aubrey, she needs you around to help her. This is what you signed up for remember?" Motioning to the peaceful baby in her arms he folded his lips and sat next to her, holding his hands out to signal that he wanted to hold her. Slowly and carfeully manoeuvring her tiny body into his arms Sandi sat back and watched them.

"I thought she was okay, I mean she seemed fine these last few days."

"I know, I can understand that but it's a lot to take on for a sixteen year old. Especially with all she's been through." She paused for a moment to admire her son and the baby he was taking on as his own. "I think you should talk to her about it tomorrow, I can watch Auburn for a while and take some of the stress off of her."

"Thanks Mom, I don't say this enough but you've been real helpful these last few weeks. We're both more than grateful."

"You don't have to thank me. I'm happy to help." Smiling lovingly at the pair of them she finally felt the courage build up inside her to ask him. "Look, I understand if you say no but I know things are going to be a little hard when I leave. Especially when you go back to work and Nicki wants to focus on school."

"Yeah?" He tried to encourage her to continue. It took a fair few seconds but her question threw him right off.

"So I was thinking maybe you should move back to Canada?"

...

*Sorry it isn't too long. I hope this was okayish :// Thanks for reading and to those who commented on the previous chapter!*


13 comments:

  1. WOW. Ashley is the definition of a bitch. I'm glad they didn't go out to eat cuz what if he would've gotten paged then & he had to run to the hospital w/ Nic? :/

    Tbh, I expected a breakdown from Nicki. She's been thru so much, like...that's a lot to deal with. & Once again, I'm thankful that Sandi is there and is so supportive.

    That promotion sounds good, but I don't feel comfortable w/ Drake continuing to work anywhere Ashley is. I feel like at any moment she could just expose him. Ugh. Jealous bitch.

    Maybe moving to Canada isn't such a bad idea... but I wonder what Drake's plan was about that dinner w/ the higher-ups.

    Oh and Charliee, your writing is amazing, I tell you that all the time, but I mean it. I'm glad you continue to write, cuz you're really good at it. Don't be discouraged. You're terrific at what you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, my comment is gonna look minuscule now lol but great post this chapter was so emotional, especially when Nicki was struggling with Aubbie like that :[ Lucky Sandi is there for her. i am so mad w/Ashley right now! How dare she just announce to everyone that drakes a dad now! I'm scared for this dinner thing, i want him to get a promotion of course but like HeyPrettyNicki said then he will still be with ashley -_- i dnt want that! Aubrey's cute for getting all proud with the photo :3 I agree w/HeyPrettyNicki, moving to Canada might be a good idea, for Nicki's and Drake's sake. Amazing post babe! Post again soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Ashley's such a whore. I hate her. And omg, I forget she's only 16 :/ she's so mature. I think moving to Canada would be great for both of them. He could transfer jobs & no one will know he's dating a teenager and it'll be easier for Nicki but Ashley is way too sneaky to let that happen. Anyway, great chapter. Don't ever doubt your abilities, you're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Gooodness For Sandi.. Shes Such a big Help for th both of them. Cause poor Nic, Only 16 amd tryna Hold herself up. Ashley... Seriously Thoo? Like I Know You Have like some sorta Thing For Him. But Cmon Now.. Thats was really Low... I definitley think Movin to Canada would do them so good. Ecspecially his Job Situation. No Longer Having to deal With Ashley. Honestly i lovee Your Writingg. Cudnt say Nothing Bad about it. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad Sandi's helping Nicki with the baby and everything. Why did Ashley have to do that though? Put Drake in a awkward position and all that. He really could do with that promotion but if he brought Nicki and they found out about everything it could cost him his job :/ Moving to Canada won't be that bad cause all the bad things would be left behind. You are a really good writer and you really shouldn't' doubt yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley is a true bitch. She gets on my nerves in this story tbh. I honestly think that it would be a wonderful idea for them to move to Canada. It would really take the stress off of them too.


    Carlee, dont you ever doubt yourself. I have this same problem half of the time when it comes down to the wonderful things/ideas that I try to do. Youre a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off you're an amazing writer. You are able to come up with these story lines and bring each character to life. Second, I'm a fairly new reader and I absolutly LOVE this story, it just has so many layers and helps the story sort of flow. I'm happy things seem to be going well with Nicki and Drake's relationship. Ima need Ashley to go, like she needs to exit stage left and keep on goin till her head lights are out of view.
    Aww at Nicki and Auburn, so cute for not wanting to leave the house without her and even cuter at Drake completely understanding. Oh and mama Sandi is so nice, I personally hope they go to Canda, it'll be good for her to still have the extra support for awhile.
    With that said, I loved this chapter, please post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just when everything goes great, it crumbles terribly back down. What exactly is Ashley up to with her tricks? Why does she insist on making Drake's life a living hell? And now his boss wants to have dinner with him and Nicki. That dinner could mean a lot in helping Nicki and Auburn, but the risk. And move back to Canada? I mean it would be ideal to have Sandi right there helping, but to pack up and leave everything? Carlee you got me on pins and needles here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What the fuck is ashley up to? She's being such a bitch i don't understNd why she's so fucking bent on giving drake hell -.- . I feel so bad for nic she's so stressed trying to take care of aubbie & failing that test smh. Thank god for mama sandi. I think they should go back to canada & just leave all this crap behind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG. WHYYYYY am I just now finding this story?! Omg. This is per perfection and I am 100% superly jealous! like...there's so much I wanna say but I'm pressed for time so just know that I loved it and I REALLY HOPE YOU UPDATE THIS ONE SOON BECAUSE I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO IT! Thank you ♥

    Kiara.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really can't stand that bitch Ashley, she got on my last nerves. I really think Drake should move, hell he should do it before his job finds out about Nic

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg! Ok so I sat here and read from the 1st chapter all the way up to this one & I loved every. single. word.


    First of all Onika is a very bright girl who is constantly put through trying situations. I admire her for not getting an abortion and sticking it out. She's also quick as a whip as well cause she checked Drake's lying right off the bat lol . As always, I love my Baby Aubz <3 so a child prodigy, eh? Doctor at 23? Yessir! I love him for taking care of Nicki and loving her without being asked to because it was obvious that no one else was gonna do it anytime soon. On that note, FUCK HER SPERM DONOR! He doesn't even deserve the title of "dad" after all the shit he did to her and put her through. Like really nigga? You pimp your daughter out(without her consent) just so you could get your fix?! Smdh if the devil isn't lurking in him..... Oh, and eff Jelani too! How are you gonna try and fly in on some superhero shit acting like you didn't leave Nicki in the first place? If you wouldn't have left her, she wouldn't have been raped, she wouldn't have been getting abused, and you wouldn't have gotten mad at her for having a child and being with a man who has a few years on her. But coulda, shoulda, woulda, get the hell over it. AND HE HIT HER!!! Nigga got some everlasting nerve cause I would've slit his throat for hitting me and talking to me like that, fuck a brother, tbh. Atleast he saw that in the end, Nicki & Auburn were much better off with Drake and he didn't force her to return to Arizona with him. The next person on my "Fuck you with a chainsaw" list is the one (thankfully) and only, Ashley! Like that bitch has rubbed me the wrong way since she first entered the story with how obvious it was that she wanted some Canadian dick and THEN she had the nerve to crack some cruel jokes about Nicki when she didn't even know ANYTHING about her situation. Smdh I really can't stand ignorant/judgmental people who judge others without knowing any details. And then her thirsty ass kept trying to get him to go out to the club with them when he has told her time and time again that he was tired. Then the bitch shows up at their house on some phony "have to use the bathroom" & this gold digger is gonna ask for some money from him? I'm sure she makes a humble amount; enough to go to the club and buy that new dress she wanted to show him so bad >.> and then she started hollering and carrying on about Nicki, which would've been another slap in the face. I understand how Drake can get in trouble because she's underage, but can't Nicki get emancipated from her dad or something cause then technically she'd be a legal adult then and free to do as she pleases. And a party Ashley? Are you THAT bitter that you gotta try and ruin shit for them? Already tried it with the Jelani thing knowing good and damn well that was against regulation, but you won't say anything about the shit that you do. Ugh *rolls eyes*. And yaaaay at Drake's possible job promotion! The only thing is though, is that his relationship w/ Nicki will most likely be brought into the light and he could get into some serious trouble :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki and Drake are the cutest things together and you can tell with everything they do that they do indeed love each other. Drake is the perfect gentleman and never asks anything of her, and most of all; he loved her when no one else did. Oh, and he gets a few cool points for helping Nicki deliver Auburn ;P lmfao but I thought my liddle lambchop wasn't going to make it as first :( I was so scared but I was relieved when she pulled through! Even more so when she finally got to go home with her family :) Ok so I had went from loving Sandi, to disliking her very much, to loving her again, just based off how she reacted to Nicki and her relationship with Drake,and how she straightened up her act. Sandi's been a really big help with Baby Aubbie and it's cute to see how she just naturally took on the grandma role as Nicki did to the mother role :) But what the hell is she talking about with "move back to Canada"?! Sandi, stop taking your arthritis medicine, it's making you delirious.

      There's some points I know I missed but this was already too long Sorry >.<! But I do love this and I can't wait for you to update again :)

      Delete